The Displays


Haiku and mock news articles have been written and are on display. A power point presentation featuring fotos and key info for 29 kids has been produced. Still, tonight's Open House makes me nervous. It's so early in the school year and I don't feel too organized about what I'm doing yet. If anyone complains that I'm not doing spelling tests, I'm going to be irked. I've stayed late at school this week to get stuff ready, but at my school there's almost always a problem that needs to be dealt with at Open House and I don't feel totally prepared. After I stapled 60 articles to the hallway bulletin board, I went into the classroom after lunch and gagged at the rancid B.O. produced by 29 sweaty post-recess adolescents. I hope the rancidity dissipates by tonight. But maybe it will keep the crowds moving? Posted by Picasa

Comments

Undomestic said…
I remember a parent grilling me about grammar....why we don't diagram sentences. I wish I could remember the quote some teacher posted one time on the list-serv about the future's progress not relying on your own past....something like that.

Anyhow, I had a group of 8th graders for 2 periods one time, but we had to switch classrooms. It was previously filled with some 7th graders who lacked personal hygiene (sp..maybe I need to be tested). One of my students used to carry a bottle of Febreeze and deodorize the classroom before the rest of my students would enter.
Undomestic said…
Ran across the story through yahoo. Thought you might enjoy it.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050908/ap_en_ot/katrina_book_project
Anonymous said…
I would like to hear more about the mock news article. Want to use with my kiddies.
LH said…
Hey C, Thanks be to you for the link.
Open House went well, I always get more nervous than I need to. The major problem this year was this: The district turned off the air conditioning at 4 for all the schools. And I was sweating profusely thru the whole night. My hair was sticking to my forehead and sweat was dripping down over my face. My hands were sweaty and my shirt was sticking to my body. I just had to keep telling parents, "Hi, sorry I'm so sweaty." I was the sweatiest person there. Which was kind of sad. But everyone likes 6th grade so far, so hoorah.
jesse, did you read my friend Sam's description of his spider bite on the thing i sent you. we all loved it.

Popular Posts