The Plans


Savvy Mom often blogs about her one true teaching love. I too have lost a true teaching love. For 12 years Jayma and I jobshared. A few years back she left me for full time teaching and college money for her kids. The separation was traumatic, but now that I teach sixth graders, we are having a blast of a time once again.
The sixth graders wrote haiku a few weeks ago, so I wrote up a lesson plan for them to use to teach fall haiku writing to second graders. Lesson plans in hand, the sixers paired up with their pals and sprawled out into every nook and cranny. We saw sixth graders clapping out syllables and prodding kiddos to create similes. Falling leaves were compared to dripping rain and flashing cameras. Jayma and I were jumping up and down cheering them on. We get excited about these things. The sixth graders will type up the drafts and help with the hanging of the haiku around the school next week.
I'm trying to decide if I want to review appropriate haiku placement. I laughed today when I pushed a cart into the elevator and found a haiku hanging inside. Forbidden territory for students, but this transgression brought me glee. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Undomestic said…
Glad you lost your case of the Mondays. Sounds like a fun time.
Anonymous said…
This is great! Can you put one of your favorite haikus onto your blog spot? It's so neat when older kids enjoy helping younger ones. This never happens in our family- I'm glad it's going on in your classroom!
LH said…
Hi C, MOnday was so blah, but the week has picked up pleasantly. And M, the kids are really nice together. but it's only been 2 weeks, so they don't have a lifetime of annoyances built up yet. i hope it lasts.

Popular Posts