The Door

This week I had to answer the dreaded question which was "Do you want to be called Ms. or Mrs. on your nameplate above your door?"

I hesitated and then said that I'd like the nameplate to have the title of Dr. next to my name. Then I'm sad to admit that I mumbled something like, "I hope you don't think that's obnoxious."  WHAT's UP WITH THAT???   My pang of insecurity was short lived, but I still wish I hadn't said that.

When I told 20 Something about my insecurity about this she told me, "You made the right decision.  If you were a man with a doctorate they wouldn't have even asked.  They would have just put Dr. on the name plate."  I think 20 Something might be on to something here.  And most Dr. men probably wouldn't fear that their nameplate was weird or troublesome.  I don't have research to back this up, so please know it's a general conjecture and not meant to stereotype or label.

The great news is, bottom line, I'm at peace with my nameplate.  I loved all 12 years of working toward this Dr. nameplate and I'm proud of the work.  I've surveyed 8 good pals and they all agree with me.  So, it's a done deal. New nameplate, we heartily embrace thee.

Comments

KC said…
This is a no brainer. Dr. it is. If I were one, I'd get it on the nameplate!!
mm said…
I agree with 20 Something. Yay! for Dr. H.
Anonymous said…
Be proud and say it loud!!!
jw
Anonymous said…
I agree....proud and loud :O
jdoc said…
Some of the teachers in the writing project this summer called me Dr. Dockter. I loved it more than I had imagined I would.
lee said…
Thanks Friendies.
Once again you've followed the road of support, don't thwart. And you don't know how much I appreciate it.

ps. Jdoc, I know, right? Kind of fun?

Popular Posts