The Switch


Sometimes when I drive in a car for 10 hours, I switch over from good mood to bad mood right around hour 9.

Because I'm currently in a bad mood, I've decided to share a peeve.  One of my major peeves right now is doctors and their laptops.  Remember when you used to go to the doctor and they sat there and talked to you for a little bit? Sometimes they looked over the chart, but mostly it was talking, with actual eye contact.  If you're young, you probably don't remember these glorious days of yore, but people that are 53 like me can remember them clearly because they are in stark contrast to what happens these days which I will now illustrate with a case in point. I accompanied my mom to the doctor this week.  After sitting and chatting together in the exam room for 20 minutes we were joined by the doctor.  He sat down, opened his laptop and started typing stuff.  We sat there watching him type for a really long time.  Then he asked my mom some questions, eyes never leaving the screen.  How's your appetite?  typetypetype Do you have headaches?  typetypetype   Does your stomach ever hurt?  typetypetype
 Come on buddy, work on the bedside laptop manner.  I just got so annoyed.  Finally he came over and flashed some lights in my mom's eyes and listened to her heart.  Then he left the room never to return. The whole thing puts me in a bad mood every time I think about it.  This guy seemed to make it his personal mission in life to tick me off.  If I go back to this doctor with my mom in the future, I'm going to ask him if I can record him with my smart phone so I can share examples of poor doctoring skills with blog readers. This is one of the worst peeves of all time.

Comments

mm said…
I actually like that they are putting my information into the computer, so it is accurate and current. If, however, I had a doctor that didn't make eye contact or actually visit with me while it was happening, I'd be annoyed.
LH said…
They shouldn't be typing on the laptops. Period. End of discussion, MM.
LH said…
Okay, sorry, MM. I'm just super peeved right now. I'm sure there are good points as well.
lee said…
Woke up feeling more cheerful, less peevish.

Yay.
Anonymous said…
Yes! Well said!!! I thought it was just me!! Sometimes they talk into a little tape recorder and I keeping saying, "Are you talking to me?" And usually the answer is no. Plus I think there should be projector in the room so I can see what the doc is typing. Who knows if the info is accurate!
jw
KC said…
That's really horrible. Unacceptable. Completely. F for that doctor FOR SURE.

The kids and I have doctors that use laptops, but we talktalktalk with eye contact first, and then they say, Ok, let me see if I've gotten this. And then they repeat the salient points while typing them. I do like seeing the growth charts for the kids on the 'puter. Mac has made it to the 11th % for BMI!

Popular Posts