Where can I buy tickets?

Tr:  Eifo efshar liknot kartisim?

I'm offering this beautiful photograph of a carving on a broken, ancient amazing ruin as a token of my esteem to the New York Times.  This week I read 2 incredible articles that I can't stop thinking about because they're phenomenal.

The first is Boys In the Bunkhouse, about some developmentally disabled men who were sent to Iowa to work in a turkey murdering plant. They were paid less money than their peers for the same jobs and were treated with incredible neglect and cruelty for decades before they were finally freed and helped to have new lives.

The second is Reaching My Autistic Son Through Disney, about a family whose son Owen's obsession with all things Disney helped his family develop a kind of therapy that helped Owen communicate, learn and enjoy friendships and independence.

These 2 articles are such an amazing contrast in almost every way. The Bunkhouse story is as hideous and horrifying as the Disney story is inspiring and exciting.  One story tells us what NOT to do when someone needs extra help to learn and grow. The other story, tells us all that we SHOULD and COULD do in the same circumstances.

I loved both these articles.  I also love the videos that go along with the stories.  Check them out if you feel like it.

Comments

Gina Marie said…
I'd also read the Boys in the Bunkhouse article, and was just so horrified. There are no words.

Now reading the Disney one - glad to have something uplifting.
mm said…
I don't think I'd want to read the Boys in the Bunkhouse article... sounds horrible.
Anonymous said…
spring break reading. Thanks!
jw
KC said…
Thanks for the recs. I'll get going on these ASAP.

Popular Posts