Learning 15: The Rest Areas

I believe I've shared this before, but maybe not.  Here's the deal.  I'm a huge fan of our nation's interstate rest areas.  When on a driving trip, I look forward to stopping at rest areas along the way---stretching my legs, reading any historical plaques that may be placed there, checking the helpful maps posted on the walls, taking some photos.  Rest areas help to curb travel fatigue, and come to find out, that's why they were built in the first place.  For safety, people.  For safety.  This morning I discovered this invaluable site right here and learned, not surprisingly, that multitudes of people feel the same way I do about our nation's rest areas:

.... with the passage of time these sites have become more than stewards of Interstate travelers.  They are important cultural landscapes, expressing the expansion of road building and the growth of leisure travel that emerged during the mid-century period.  As well they articulate the desire people felt to remain personally connected to their nation even as it was growing ever more disparate; and are quirky and engaging manifestations of the mid-century’s cultural aesthetic and ideology.

That last sentence sums it all up in a nutshell. So I was frustrated yesterday as I drove through four of our greatest states to learn that rest areas were few and far between.  Come to find out, I've learned today that states are closing rest areas because of budget concerns. This really cheeses me off, as you can imagine.  Some people think we don't need rest areas any more because we have gas stations and fast food restaurants along the interstates.  These people are wrong.  I saw a family of about 19 climb out of 2 cars yesterday and they needed the rest area.  Kids were running everywhere.  Seeing those littles reminded me of childhood travels. We were a family of 9, and we drove all over this vast land in our VW bus.  We loved the rest areas.  My mom would make us baloney sandwiches.  We'd explore the environs, pick up some vending items and some informative brochures, and head back on to the open road.  I hope rest areas don't go away completely.  Public spaces are an important part of living in a democracy.

Comments

KC said…
I'm impressed by your impassioned support of rest areas. I'd never thought so much about them, but now I have. Thanks.
Mrs. Prost said…
My mom told me many times never to stop at rest areas because dangerous people are there. She said i woukd get raped, molested, mugged, car jacked,abducted, murdered, chopped up, etc.
Now you have challenged me to question something that has been programmed in my brain for decades. And I never heard anyone say "that cheeses me off." I like that.
lee said…
Eve Marie, You bring up an alternate perspective. I like that. I will say that I don't stop at rest areas in the dark of the night. And some people sleep in the cars at the rest areas which I think is probably a bad idea. But in the light of day, they're bustling with friendly travelers and dogs. Which I know you love.

KC, We went to a rest area in your beautiful state once that had a bunch of bird feeders. I saw some awesome birds there.
mm said…
Wow! I will look at rest areas differently. The next time I pass one I may even stop and stretch.
Sarah Gardner said…
I already commented on your Facebook version of this, but I will add here that you can't picnic at a gas station or fast food restaurant! So when trying to travel more cheaply, rest stops are important. Also for littles and pets to run around.
Anonymous said…
I love rest areas!! Clean bathrooms, little doggies stretching their legs, families eating at picnic tables and the hugest maps I've ever seen. Plus, our family of 8 also spent many breaks at rest areas. I remember pulling into them and all of us scrambling to put our shoes back on. As we tumbled out the doors things would fall out with us. I'm sure people got a chuckle out of the Williams clan pulling into a rest area.
jw

Popular Posts