Learning 11: Learning

 Was getting kind of down about not learning anything today, so #1 Son asked if I would like to learn a drum beat.  He's a very good teacher and I learned how to lay down a pretty neat beat in no time.  Tonight I practiced the beat again, and showed it to Kevin and Nance. After they left I wondered about this thing called learning. What is it exactly? I re-read some thoughts about learning by Lewis and Moje:  "Learning involves and requires participation in something.... Learning goes beyond the moment of participation to constitute a history and to shape a future act of participating."

I participated for some moments in some drumming, but does this event shape any future acts of drumming?  I suppose it will because I know something now about how to hold the sticks, and how to count out the beat while I move from bass drum, to snare, to cymbal. But if I never drum again, did I learn drumming?  Probably not.  I think I only learned drumming if I keep drumming in the future.  Still mulling this over.

 #1 Son also helped me winnow through his hundreds of t-shirts that are stuffed pell mell into his dresser drawers.  As he lay on his bed, I held up each shirt and he would usually say something like, "Mom, that's a dope ass T.  Obviously I'm keeping it." We are keeping most of the t-shirts, so that's good.  It was nice to be able to see each tee shirt and talk about its history with #1.  A productive and fun day.

Comments

Sarah Gardner said…
Some very deep thoughts here, learning about learning. I remember weeding through old t-shirts after high school with my mom. We took pictures of many of them and then donated them. Good times.
Anonymous said…
I love my tshirts and have such a hard time parting with them. I think tshirts say a lot about the person wearing them. I think Peter and Quinn wear cool tshirts.
jw
Anonymous said…
That drum beat was dope ass, and you obv. learned some drumming. It will enhance future learning, so leave it alone, lady. You learned something!
N
LH said…
Hey dolls, the t-shirts are super important to #1. They were funny to talk about. I like the idea of taking some pics,if he ever can part with a few.

Thanks N. I did like the drumming. May be that's the instrument for me.

I wonder what I'll learn today.
LH said…
I have 3 audio books for my trip south:

Loving Frank
Look at Me
Code Name Verity

Now for the cleaning and the packing! It's going to be EPIC!
marion said…
I think it's great that you're going through Quinn's t-shirts! There's so much history with the shirts we're attached to. Does anyone want to go to the jazz concert at the IU Art Museum Friday night? I've never been before but was thinking it would be fun, if it's not raining.
LH said…
Hey Mar, I wanted to go to that, but I've decided to head out of town for a few days to visit my fam in Georgia. I'll touch base next week. Gotta get together Friend!
Anonymous said…
What about one of those quilts you make from old t-shirts?
I love this series in your blog! I'm learning so much!

Sarah
marion said…
Yes, we definitely do! Have a safe trip and let's get together next week. I miss you!
LH said…
S, the t shirt creation could be good. Not sure when I would get around to it though, so the discards headed to Goodwill for some super lucky goodwill shopper. Hope your summer is a lot of fun, Ms. M.

Mar, yes, next week! Miss you 2.
KC said…
Pretty impressed with the beats. Please record and send. thx.

Popular Posts