The Fire

Walked into Friend Vander's teaching space on Friday afternoon.  Her firsties were all writing about pets.  Fun firstie immediately stopped writing when he saw me and walked up to intercept me as I tried to talk to Vander about a tooth problem I'm having, "Dr. H.  You should be a social worker."
"Why do you say that, Bud?"
"Because you like to play with puppets.  And you're nice to little kids.  And do you want to look at my writing and tell me how hard I'm working?"
"Yes, of course I do."  I read over his piece and asked, "Firstie, This is sad. Did your fish really die?"
"Yes, His name was Smile.  And he died.  And when we went back to the pet store, they didn't have any more beta fish."
"My son had a beta.  His name was Firebeam."
Firstie looked at me for a few seconds and then said, "You know what my fish was named? Firesmile!"
I wish I could be a firstie teacher.  These are obviously my peeps.

Comments

skip Israel and move into a room on the second floor!
mm said…
I LOVE your kid stories.

Popular Posts