The Meetings

Photo Credit:  Mitz
On Wednesdays we have meetings now.  I meet with every grade level team all day long.  The bad part of this is I sit in one chair for about 8 hours straight.  The good part of this is I get to talk to nearly every teacher in the school.  We spend some time looking at data, but mostly we talk about kids and teaching.  It's fun to chat with teachers about ways to teach x y or z.  Teachers have welcomed me into their rooms to observe lessons and give feedback.  We have some tense moments when we're wrestling problems down to the ground, but mostly we just get stuff done. MentorFriend told me to remember to speak with truth and love.  It's harder than you might think to combine the two, but I'm working on it. Highlight of the day yesterday:  We looked at reading scores in an upper grade and saw a kid who has struggled since first grade to read has recently made a huge literacy leap.  I thought it was a mistake at first.  CreativeTeacher said, "She's working hard.  She's reading. It's clicking."  Then CreativeTeacher started to change the subject to another kid, but I screamed out "WAIT!  PLEASE! Let's just stay on this kid for a minute and think about how awesome this is.  I want everyone raising a beverage in a toast to this child and her teachers this very night!" Everyone agreed that they would do this.

I'm hoping that we can continue our meetings at an outdoor bevvy station some time soon so that we could have this type of celebratory toast for all our littles who come around the long way to learning, but who get there in the end.  That would be a good end to a great day.  Wine and Dine Literacy Discussions.

I'm thinking about bringing the sheep dog puppet into the lunchroom today.  There's going to be bedlam.  But I'm kind of in the mood for some wildness.  Stay tuned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love it! Wine and DIne Literacy Discussions! Congrats to that hard working kiddo!!!! ANd to you hard working teachers!!!! I do so love the puppets and how even though that part of your day is ridiculous (seriously, I still struggle with the thought that that is your job!) you have fun by joining in the bedlam! We blog followers love those cafe stories!
N
LH said…
N, I wish you had been in the lunch room today with me. George the english sheepdog puppet was such a hit. He's lovable so he loves to jump all over kids. The place was madness.
mm said…
Yea for the sheepdog puppet. I had a sibling of one of my students come along to conferences this evening and want to look at my sock puppet.
KC said…
Congrats to that kid and her teachers!!!! I wish I could have an outdoor bevvy, but guess what? It's utterly miserable here with many inches of snow falling RIGHT NOW. It'll be better in San Antonio in 2 weeks.
Anonymous said…
Yay!! Great story. Call the HT and print it! I'll raise my glass for sure.
jw

Popular Posts