The Rubbing

Got back from 4 glorious days with JUDITH in Chicago at NCTE to find that some deer who's in rutting season has RUBBED and SCRAPED my tulip tree that I planted from a sapling.  Okay, I didn't plant it from a sapling.  Someone came and planted it for me when it was pretty large already, BUT, this tree is our up and coming tall tree for when our other dying tree next to it actually dies.  SO ANNOYING!  I give everything to those deer.  And this is how I'm repaid?  Couldn't rub and scrape the  dying tree.  If that tulip tree dies, there will be hell to pay.

Comments

mm said…
I have a feeling they're really sorry and your tree will be fine.
jdoc said…
I did not know about such a thing as a tulip tree. Now that I do, I would be very sad if one died.
kc said…
I hope the tree survives!! I looked up some google images of tulip trees and they seem great.
LH said…
State tree of Indiana. fyi.
dw said…
I think that deer would probably be delicious. You could sit on the deck enjoying some roasted venison and enjoying the view of your tulip tree. It's win-win.

But on another note, what's a tulip tree? Is it different from the tulip flower?
LH said…
As I've said in the past, the tulip tree is our state tree. Its real name is yellow poplar.

Look at it here and admire its greatness, and then fully understand my ire at the deer rubbing. We have a weird tube like thing on our tree now. The tree guy said we got to the problem in time. This doesn't always happen, so I'm pleased. Tho the tube looks kind of bad.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/tulip_tree_3.jpg
Erin said…
I had a friend that had issues with deer in her garden. she put ivory soap shavings and hair(she had a friend that cut hair) around things and I guess the deer never bothered her garden again. Not sure if it'll work for a tree but it's worth trying.
LH said…
MA told me to use Irish Spring soap. So there may be some truth to this lore. We have visitors right now and they want to see the deer. But the deer never come around when the visitors are here. Making us look a little bit like liars.
StreibProjects said…
This post is hilarious! You are a great writer!

Popular Posts