Be less creative?

Good review in the Rake about two new books by Canadians.

(Blog addendum: The following reviews don't jibe with the Rake reviews, but I read them after posting this. Nation of Rebels sounds like right wingnut stuff...you're an elitist if you don't shop at Walmart. I won't be ordering it. Caniglia didn't mention any of that in her reviews. The Niedzviecki review below mentions that the author talked to real people who have experimented with moving out of the mainstream.)

Nation of Rebels: Why Counter-Culture Became Consumer Culture (Heath and Potter)
and
Hello, I'm Special: How Individuality Became the New Conformity (Niedzviecki)

Reviewer Julie Caniglia concludes her review with the suggestion that we cut back on self-expression and ratchet up our perceptions of what's going on around us. I'm curious about these books and their connection to what I'm reading in Harper and Kamler about a focus on individuality and self-expression in writer's workshop pedagogy leading writers to ignore the social story lines we live.

The reviewer states that the authors point out that there are more writers now than the reading market can support. I need to keep blogging tho, that's all there is to it. But...I acknowledge that I probably should try to curb my desire for hits and comments. I suppose I won't download that site counter after all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I read somewhere that the word blog was the most looked up word on an online dictionary last year. Keep blogging!!!
I love the pics of Ros and Quinn!!
Judy
LH said…
Hey woman,
I had to add a blog addendum after reading my links. You might want to check that out.
I'm getting into my digital camera at long last.
Should get some good pix in nyc.
Anonymous said…
What do you call an online journal kept by
a Cocker Spaniel?

Answer: A dogblog

-P.
LH said…
P, I'm not sure you get the whole leave your comment thing. it's usually vaguely related to the blog content. but thanks for showing up...
Anonymous said…
Hmmm... No counter? I'm all about more hits, man. Does that make me self-absorbed? I want people to like what I write. I'm not sure it's enough that just *I* like it -- otherwise, why wasn't I writing before I had my blog?
Anonymous said…
I like what you write KC.
And you too, Lee.
Both of your blogs are so different, but I like that!!!! Lee, you make me want to be more intellectual, to care more about just what is coming out of my child's nose today, or the color in my baby's diaper!!!!
LH said…
Kc and C--- i may be rethinking the counter situation. I want hits too and i love when people read the blog. My ocd personality tho, keeps me running back to check on the blog too frequently. gotta work on that. thanks for reading....

Popular Posts