Breakfast Blog

Rosalyn described the Safe Child Syndrome article by Beth Hawkins in City Pages as "judgmental" and I had some issues with it as well. Though we both agree that a dad and kid walking next to each other at an indoor playground probably don't need to be talking to each other with walkie talkies. I visited indoor playgrounds when the kids were younger. but I found them a bit sad. I didn't feel like talking to the other parents because I suck at chitchat. So I would try to read a book, but these places are so loud and distracting, I would end up just watching my kids as they squirmed through the tubes. I didn't want them to be kicked by another kid and I didn't want them to kick anyone else. Crowds of kids jammed together into tubes can lead to trouble. There's a little bit of "blame the victim" in the piece, since parents are represented as hovering overbearing worriers. Hawkins cites Winnicott and suggests parental worry might be a manifestation of repressed aggression or resentment toward our own kids. Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe what is resented is the lack of access to free public spaces and facilities. Hawkins concludes her piece with a story about a family who moved into a neighborhood with a public park, let their kids play there, and then were told their kids were too young to play in the park without supervision. Through miscommunications based on good intentions, the family ended up being investigated by social services. A few years ago, Rosalyn and some friends wanted to organize a picnic in a park at home and one parent decided that she would need to be there to supervise. They were seventh graders in a public park on a Saturday afternoon. They're dropped off at the mall regularly all on their own, but public space seems more risky? I don't get that. Breakfast is now over so I must actually get to work. Hawkins wrote an interesting piece. The carseat section alone I could go on and on about, but I need to move on... Check out her piece if you get a chance. Such sad photos...

Comments

Popular Posts