Text Shirk

Reading Kamler's description of a writer's workshop for women 60 years and older. One woman wrote the story of taking her husband home from the hospital to prepare for his death. When Kamler worked with this writer, they talked about what was represented in the story and what was left out. Focusing on what's left out in my own dealings with kid writers is difficult. I slip into regrets as I re-analyze the same story over and over again and realize the lameness of some of my interactions. Too late, woman. Move on. I'm reading Harper's book too, about teenaged girls in a feminist avant garde reading group. Harper hopes that the girls will come to love the poetry she presents, just as she does. I've been there as well, wanting certain outcomes while trying hard to respect individual preferences. I'm disappointed when ideas are resisted or rejected, though I try not to take it too personally. I can't win because I also get concerned when people embrace the ideas too wholeheartedly. Are they coerced by teacher authority? Shirking these contradictions, I spent the day with two delightful teens. Fun and easy going. They balked at my suggestion that they integrate the Lego Man into the photo as a fake friend, but other than that, they were pleasant as can be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know what you are saying, at least from a "mother" perspective, if not a "teacher" perspective. I try to turn my sons on to good stories, music, poetry, art, food, activities--good things that have greatly enhanced my life. But what if they are not moved by these things? What if they want to eat bad food and read bad books? Where is the line between, as you said, "...wanting certain outcomes while trying hard to respect individual preferences." It can be disappointing. I try to appease myself by considering that I've also raised them to have their own opinions, know their own minds.
LH said…
Yeah, it makes it tricky when you live with them.
The Harper book was interesting because the 7 or 8 girls in the study just did not want to align with feminist writing in any way, which Harper thought was liberating reading. Her book made me relax about my own study. There were resisters for sure, but not every single kid! That would be kind of a downer project.

Popular Posts