The Close Call


There's a museum here called The Spadina Museum that we did not pay ten dollars to enter yesterday.  Instead, we walked in their gardens for free. I'd call them pleasant. I might want to go back to that museum though to take the tour.  The museum is all about the house of a rich family who lived in Toronto in the 20s and some have compared their lives to the world of Downton Abbey.  Sounds good.  Count me in.

Our dinner plans with J and P got kind of messed up.  I had read about a great Japanese place nearby, but when we walked in, we were hit by 2 trillion decibels of loudness. People were screaming at the top of their lungs.  No way were we going to eat there.  Of course I had a backup plan, which was Harvest Kitchen, a few blocks away.  Sadly, that place was super busy and we didn't get to sit on the rooftop patio.  We sat out front though, at 2 teeny tables and waited for service.  Finally we got some beverages.  We wished we had a deck of cards to play bridge during our wait.  Husbandman took off toward a corner store and VOILA! returned with cards.  We started playing bridge and got lost in the game. The waiter, a young gent from Russia, forgot all about us and when we finally stopped with our trick making to ask him if we could order, he said, "You want food?  The kitchen closes in 15 minutes!"  That really cheesed me off.  Obviously we came to a restaurant at dinner time to eat food.  Come to find out, there were a bunch of things that they couldn't make in 15 minutes, so we all had to change our orders.  It all ended well because the food was good and we got over our annoyance at the lad and mostly we were feeling collegial and cheerful.  We'll probably go back to Harvest Kitchen because I wanted to try the mushroom pot pie, but I could only have a veggie burger.

Comments

Judy said…
I do love walking through gardens.
jw
KC said…
This is a nice way to deal with bad service. Sometimes, I get so unnecessarily mad, which doesn't help anything.
mm said…
I think the gardens were probably the best part of the museum.

Popular Posts