The Bath of Birds


My sister Joy and I email each other nearly every day.  It's a delight to wake up in the morning to her words.  Yesterday we wrote about our mutual disregard for rats.  Joy and I are big animal lovers, but the rat is a creature we both abhor, for various reasons.  Our rat chat led me to write a poem today about rats.  It's based on some true events that occurred here on High Street when we went on sabbatical and #1 Son lived in our home for a year.  Come to find out, #1's ideas about how homes should look and feel differed from our ideas on this same topic.  Maybe things have changed with #1 Son, maybe not.  But it's all water under the bridge.  At any rate, here's a mean poem I wrote about rats.  With apologies to rat fans.


You've haunted my 
sister
 and you've
chewed through 
our basket of 
cozy blankets
left for wintry tv watching

Oh hated vermin
run to the darkest part 
of the basement
and feast on the poison 
we've hidden there

We see you 
stagger out
your throat 
on fire
as you drag
your body into
the bath of birds

You lay there 
refusing to move
and
refusing to die

Leave our clutter be
we will not 
share
we will not 
tell you again
we will not
let you in

Comments

Anonymous said…
well done. I hate rats.
jw
mm said…
I like it... doesn't everyone hate rats?
KC said…
Rats are the fu*&ing worst. Your poem is fire.
Anonymous said…
It may be wrong to say but rats suck. I find it a bit amusing that while hiking I will run after a bear to get a picture bit run away screaming like a girl when I spot a rat.

Popular Posts