The Open House

At Open Houses across the nation, students show their parents stuff.  Like their peers, Thirdlanders wanted to make Tour Guide Lists for Tuesday night.  A creative Thirdlander shared happy memories of getting to wear a tour guide hat at previous open houses!  Cute idea, but it's been done already, I told her.

Because I'm also a parent, I remember following my kids around at Open House.  Going to be honest, I wasn't crazy about it.  I just wanted to slip in, give a hearty hello to the teacher and be on my merry way.  I'd check out a few work samples in order to follow basic parenting protocols, of course.  That goes without saying, but I had little desire to visit the Art Room or the basketball court.

So after being eagerly encouraged, and some might say pressured, by the Thirdlanders to get on the bandwagon, I reluctantly gave them each an index card and told them to write "Welcome to Our Room" on one side.  On the other side, I told them they could write down things to show their parents.  I didn't look at these cards, but in some ways I wish I had.   When I saw Thirdlanders walking their parents over to our pencil sharpener, then to the tape dispenser, and next to the tub for turning in completed work, I was a little embarrassed and appalled. "Geez people, why on earth are you showing them the pencil sharpener? Get your literacy folder out and review your writing. Show them the poems you wrote that are on display."  Does this really need to be spelled out?  Well, come to find out, it does.

But the good news is this.  Open House was fun.  Parents and kids were friendly and cheerful.  We all did well.   And I learned a valuable lesson about preparing for Open House through this experience.  And now we're having a three day weekend.  Score.

Comments

mm said…
Unfortunately for most parents, I focus on the kid at open house since it's the week before school starts.

Popular Posts