The Steak

Lunch lines were long and slow today on account of the Salisbury Steak and the 5 questions:  Salisbury Steak or Peanut Butter?  Mashed potatoes?  Gravy on the mashed potatoes?  Green beans?  Roll?

I mean, come on.  Just ask the first question.  When they say Salisbury steak just give them everything else.  If they cry about the gravy on the potatoes, give them a new tray. Skip the green beans. Easy peasy lemon squeezy people.  I spent a significant amount of time squatting down next to kids ripping through these 5 questions at top speed and then shouting them to the lunch ladies with a pleasant, THANK YOU! at the end of each order.

After that I walked around with Jack, the Jack Russell terrier puppet.  Jack's hyper and we've got to keep him calm. That's his backstory.  All the kids hugged or patted Jack and told me their own dog stories.  I can't really hear in the lunchroom so I just nod and smile as they tell their tales. They're fine with it.

I'm pretty good at lunchroom duty, but sometimes I wonder if I've gotten too good at it.  HunterMan Colleague who helps in there said to me today, "Some people get to live out their calling.  You're one of those people.  You were born to do this lunchroom gig."

Flip.  I guess I wanted so much more.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This was a great post! Definitely laughed out loud to myself. If there were any lunch delays today, I would have assumed it would have been from the salad bar. Those kids wIll eat anything. The main entree choice really should be the only choice they get to make. Then pile on the sides and send 'em through. Especially the littles.

Love the comment from HunterMan Colleague. I hope no one was born to do that gig. Surely he just means that with you and your puppet friends in charge, things go as smoothly as they can.

We are lucky to have you, Dr. H! I don't know how we are going to ever survive without you!!!!!

MP
Anonymous said…
You do your best in any situation, so no wonder someone thinks you were made for the gig. I love your lunchroom stories, especially with the puppets! What a joy you bring to those children! Now go Hoosiers!
N
Sarah Gardner said…
I love seeing you with puppets in the lunchroom!
KC said…
I wish I could see you do lunchroom duty. But, I still can't believe you have to do lunchroom duty.
mm said…
I agree with KC that it's ridiculous that you have to do lunchroom duty, but I love the stories and the relationships you build.

Popular Posts