The Pope

There's a new pope in town, Peeps.  Problematically, I was working steadily in Husbandman's quiet collegial office when the tweet about the white smoke arrived.  So then I couldn't work because I was waiting to hear the name of the new pope.  Finally after an hour or so, the name was tweeted.  That's when I decided to amble over to Starby's for a latte.  2 baristas stood idly by while one made the latte.  "Have you all heard about the new pope?"
    "We heard there's white smoke.  Is there a name yet?"
    "Yes, he's from Argentina."
     "WHAT?  OMG!  I didn't even know Argentina was in the running! GREGORY!  GREGORY!"  they all started screaming for a 4th barrista to come on over.  Then they told Gregory about the new South American pope.
     Gregory was stoked. "OMG," he yelled, "Argentina!  Not Brazil???? What's his name????" Gregory shouted, as if in a panic.
     "He'll be called Francis," I answered, duly impressed with myself and my knowledge.
    "OMG!" Gregory screamed again.  "Is this the first Francis?  I think it's the first Francis.  Is it?"
     "Look, I don't know.  I'm operating on one tweet right now.  That's all I've got."  Then I left, but I left them all screaming and fist pumping.
     It really felt good to break the news to these baristas.  I texted several in my contact list about the new pope, but got not much reaction.  In fact, 20 something daughter simply replied, "Meet the new pope. Same as the old pope." I told her he was the first Francis and she perked up a bit, textwise.  Being the bearer of new news is fairly fun.  Habemus Papum.

Comments

mm said…
It's entertaining to think the baristas were so excited.
KC said…
A dad at tae kwon do, Romelo, was very excited about the new pope. He is from Ecuador. He showed me some photoshopped pictures of Jesus holding Pope Francis' head while we watched our kids punch and kick.
Anonymous said…
We were all chatting about it yesterday. I was amazed at how little I know about the whole process of choosing a Pope. I am happy he is Argentinian.
Jw

Popular Posts