The Week



If I could make a law, that law would be that a first week of school can never be a full five days.  All schools begin the year with a 2 day week.  Maybe 3, but that's it.

Yesterday, I taught 4 classes for the One Book One Fairview project.  I had that horrible nervousness and anxiety, trying to think of good ideas, trying to deal with the line at the xerox machine, freaking out inside while a few kids told me they hated my assignment...... yadda yadda yadda.  I kind of liked this anxiety.  It made me feel like a teacher again, back in the real world. Coaching doesn't really have that icy heart edge to it.

I'm trying to be more of a warrior this year, passionate about our school focus, insistent on our collective expectations.  I'm going to have to learn how to temper this stance, because yesterday I got kind of bossy with some peeps, for no real reason. I apologized later.  In some ways I wish I could be boss of the world.  In other ways, I just want to do my own thing with independence and freedom.  I can find middle ground, by having some faith in people, and slowing down the pace a bit.  Keep calm and carry on.  Motto of the day.






Comments

Anonymous said…
This five day thing is ridic. I had 8 classes yesterday. My third day in a row. That might not sound like very much but that means I had 25 kids wandering around the library all asking me for something. It's fairly mind blowing. Totally unlike anything I experienced as a classroom teacher. And then at 4:00 water started gushing out of the air conditioning unit soaking books and shelves. If you know the history of our library you know how much I was freaked out. I heard myself saying to the principal, "I have a broken pelvis bone and shingles. I cannot move those books." He gave me a wide berth and headed to the library. My tone might not have been calm.
Thanks for letting me share peeps.
jw
mm said…
I like your motto. It may need to be my motto going into next week.

Keep calm and carry on!
LH said…
I am worried about the shingles.
And what's with the water in the library for the gazillionth time?

MM, worked pretty well. Do you start Monday?
Anonymous said…
The cake looks delicious and fabulous! Happy birthday, Ann!
N

Popular Posts