The Lunchroom


Oh my gosh, that lunchroom's going to drag me down my friends.  It's going to drag me down.  I'm in there for 25 hours at a time, bringing kids to the food lines, running about reminding them to stop screaming, dealing with their interpersonal issues, picking up their disgusting half eaten food that they've left on the table, trying to get them to pick up the horrific messes they create, washing down their tables as quickly as possible because there's another group coming in.  In short, it's not fun. And really, not exactly requiring me to use that fancy degree I worked on for 12 freaking years.

Okay, this being said, 2 things happened today that were actually pretty good in there.  I will discuss them thusly.

Scenario the first:  Crazy fourth grader stood up in the middle of the riotous lunchroom and screamed like there was no tomorrow, "I HATE YOU TANISHA!" I ran over to him and he leaned his head into my stomach area (which I don't like people to touch) and started wailing.  It was all so sudden that I had to laugh kind of a lot.  As I laughed and rubbed his back he told me that Tanisha had angered him so much that he had slammed his lunchbox down on the ground and now his lunchbox was dented and his apple sauce was spilled everywhere.  "I can see you're frustrated," I told him, as he sobbed into my shirt.  After that he sat down and seemed okay.  So that was good.

Then Scenario the second.  Second grade new kid was sobbing hysterically because she had no money in her account and she had to have a peanut butter sandwich.  This situation is super hard to handle.  I was rubbing her back and opening up the scorned sandwich when I asked the other kids, "Have you ever had to deal with this kind of thing?"  Two girls told her right away that this had also happened to them.  Then cheerful boy said, "I don't have that problem.  I'm on free lunch.  So I always get my food."  That wasn't helping so much, and she was crying harder, but then the kid next to her said, "You can have my corn."
"Jason," I said, "We're really not supposed to share food in here, but right now, you are my hero."
That's when Emma decided to hand over her fruit salad. The kid's sobbing was slowing down and I sent her off to wash her face.
When she came back, she was fine.
So I guess I hate the lunchroom, but I'm occasionally charmed by it as well.

Comments

mm said…
Although the reality is I'm supes excited that I don't work in an elementary school, sometimes I read your blog and wish I did. Thanks!
The cafeteria and the minutes just after I pick up my class are some of my least fave of each day. I wish we knew what to do to make it a more calm experience for all involved. But I loved your 2nd grade story- they sure can be sweet!
LH said…
Today I just walked around being nice to the kids. The noise is unbearable, but I'm trying to just stay in a good mood.

Popular Posts