The Holiday


Kids don't come to our home (have never come even one time) for trick or treating because we live on a busy street with no sidewalk.
We don't even buy candy anymore because we would just eat it all ourselves year after year after year, back when we were hoping for trick or treaters to knock on our door.  So Halloween is kind of a ho hum hum drum kind of night around here.  When an artful learning kid asked me what I was going to be tonight, I told him, "I'm going to dress up as a woman wearing pajamas, laying on her couch, watching TV."  It surprised and amused me when a teacherpal of dutch origin with 2 small children (train engineer and friendly witch) heard my plan and said, "Now that's living the dream."

It's all a trade off.  When you're with the littles, you get to party down and dress up, several days in a row. Sure there's crying and freaking out and dental decay.  But when you're with the bigs, you get to spend an evening doing absolutely nothing, thinking about all the antics that are surrounding your neighborhood, so near and yet, so far.

Husbandman says this entry is a bit melancholy. I was aiming for bittersweet.


Comments

Anonymous said…
We sat outside this year, with our goodies, waving at passing cars and walkers. We lured in quite a few. Got rid of all our little bears, monster pops, puzzle books, etc.
Still some candy left.
Check out the photo on Facebook, and then come join us next year.

D/
mm said…
I think it is bittersweet. BTW- Awesome job with encouragement for the evening as the left school.
LH said…
I'm listening to Daniel Pink right now. You should check out his TED talk. It reminds me a lot of Alfie Kohn's book, Punished by Rewards.
LH said…
I wish the lighting were better in here.
LH said…
Daniel Pink. Thumbs up.
Julie Anna said…
We get about 5 trick-or-treaters these days. All the kids on our street have grown up. We get a few kids of those kids. Two of our tricksters looked to be about 15. Husband thought they were a bit long in the tooth for going trick-or-treating. I say let them be kids as long as they want to be. :)
LH said…
Next Year I think I'll go with D and C to check out the trick or treaters.

Right now I'm at lunch. It was so crowded I couldn't find any of my peeps so I'm eating alone in a room designated for TEAM WORK.
LH said…
Found a friend for lunch. Had a good day up there. Learned some stuff, talked to some people. Life is good. Now I'm home, and Husbandman is making me an omelette.
Anonymous said…
Are you up there more this week? Wish I had lunch with you!
N
Anonymous said…
We have a new character on our rural lane. He called ahead to make sure our mini-crew would visit. That was nice.

JJB
KC said…
I bet we could have a lot of fun dressed up and handing out candy. Maybe you should visit us next year?!
LH said…
I'm heading up to Indy but I wanted to tell you about the fourth grader's costume. He told me in the morning, "I'm going to be a bumble bee. With a helmet and laser. Man I'm going all out. I'm doing it right!"

When I told Husbandman he said, "I'm not sure a laser is doing it right when it comes to bee costumes."
Anonymous said…
I love the way kids talk to you. And it's because of the wonderful way you talk to kids.

D/
LH said…
D, this guy just made me lol.
I laugh every time I think about him.

I'm so tired from 2 days in Indy. Getting up at 5am is not the funnest.
Anonymous said…
Okay, I can clear up the whole Bumble Bee costume thing. One of my students was writing about being Bumble Bee and I said you mean a bumble bee and he said no, Bumble Bee is a ninja type character. So, basically we are all thinking about the bees that sting us, but instead it is actually a character of some kind. (with a laser)m :) KV

Popular Posts