The Bee


No big fanfare today, but this is the tenth anniversary of our invasion of Afghanistan.  I brought an article about it up to the sixers, who are studying "conflict" and "resolution."  We weren't too impressed to read that in 2014, "most" of our soldiers in Afghanistan will be heading home.  Ten years is literally a lifetime to the sixers who really didn't even know we were at war.  Most of them wrote on their response sheet, "Why is this going on for so long?"  We'll talk more about it next week.  I'm enjoying the sixers.  They're mean and hateful one minute and in the next they're talking about books and articles with enthusiasm and verve.

After I left, I headed down to help out in the cafeteria.  En route, I noticed someone had ripped a cardboard bee picture off a bulletin board. I picked up that bee right away, and quickly put it to work as I cruised around the noisy tables.  Holding the bee aloft, I would ask kids at various tables, "Are you BEEhaving?" Or I would say something like, "I sure wish you would BEE seated."  Kids would stare back at me and then I would say, "Get it????  BEE?????"  The littles would give a little chuckle.  The bigs would smirk, but I could tell they thought I was hilarious.  I was amusing the heck out of myself, to tell you the truth.

Sad talks, funny talks.  All in a day's work at artful school.  It's been a long week, but a pretty good one.

Comments

mm said…
I'm impressed that you shared the article. Why aren't we out by now?
LH said…
I like working with the sixers on articles from current events. I do have friends who work in Afghanistan and they fear it will be a blood bath for all the Afghans who have helped us there. There are others who think we should leave fast. It's an impossible situation.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for getting the kids to think aabout what's happening in our world.
jw
KC said…
The bee! LOL.
Anonymous said…
I too want an extra day to this weekend! I have to go to the dentist tomorrow morn, and am taking a half day. But I want a whole weekend day! We need to plan a winery time soon as it is always so pretty out there in the fall.
N
goofygal said…
LOVE the eel pic....that SO looks like some of our kiddos during D5.

Popular Posts