The Walk


The conferences with parents went well today. A big theme of the conferences is that sixers don't like to show their parents any of their work, so the parents don't really know what's going on with the kiddos. I don't want to sound braggy, but my own #1 son shares his work with me and even lets me give him tips. But that's just my luckiness and I am making no judgments. I'm a soft hearted teacher and many parents encouraged me to lower the boom on the kiddos. I've never had much success with boom lowering, but I'm willing to give it a try. I have 9 more conferences to do later in the week, but tomorrow is a day off. My partner is going to take the kids to see The Music Man and musicals are not my thing. I'm going to start the day with a walk with guardian of Gypsy cat. My first exercise in weeks. I hope to spend the rest of the day working on a conference talk and I'll buy a vacuum cleaner. Maybe I'll even squeeze in a little dissertation time. My stress level about the dissertation is off the charts right now, so light some candles for me.
Laughing Alice photo credit: Alice's mum and dad. She's the most adorable snow princess around, as you can clearly see.

Comments

Undomestic said…
I always dreaded handing anything out from the office to my class. When they left, I found most of the fliers about fundraisers or school news littering my floor. NOTHING ever got home!
Anonymous said…
Well, photo credit is actually Alice's MOM, but who's counting...:)
LH said…
Hi Cari, I don't even know why we pass things out to tell you the truth. but i guess some information must filter out somehow. schools need blogs maybe?
hey alice's mom, i figured it was you, but couldn't be sure. i scored quite a few almond joys from q and r. whatever happened to mounds??????
Julie Anna said…
Silly woman! The reason you hand things out to kids is to accommodate psychotic ex-husbands who can then go to court and tell the judge that the custodial parent is a crappy, vile, spiteful person who never ever relays information that the kids are OBVIOUSLY bringing home from school. But maybe that's a biased opinion based on narrow personal experience :)
Julie Anna said…
I forgot to say that I saw this snow princess outfit somewhere and was disappointed that it only came in kids' sizes. I could've made a snow princess outfit, but now I realize that I don't have the peach-perfect cheeks to pull it off like Alice did.
KC said…
i am bad at lowering the boom, too.

even though it says VERY CLEARLY in my syllabus that i will only accept late work for one week after the due date, I have been taking all kinds of things this last week.

i just really want their grades to be good!!
LH said…
Julie, I think you are on to something with the reasoning. I hadn't thought of that at all. And I really think we all should be snow princesses for halloween next year. Please start planning that for us will you.
hey kace, i've found in the past that the parents say to lower the boom but then when the bad grades come home, they somehow turn against the teacher rather than the kiddos. alas. we'll see what second quarter brings.

Popular Posts