The Cut


The day off went well. Some sentences were written, some roads were walked, some hairs were cut. I was embarrassed in the haircutting place because I have been trying to get my haircutter pal to cut my hair really short for several months now, but she never quite pulls the trigger and my hair ends up looking like an evenly mown lawn.
Today I sat in her chair and said, “There’s this character on the show Rome with really short hair that I like. Do you watch Rome?”
“No,” she answered.
“Well this character has really short hair,” I tried to explain.
Her husband works with her and he screamed from across the haircutting place, “Cleopatra???? Are you wanting your hair cut like Cleopatra???” He seemed surprised.
“Well, I didn’t really want to identify the character, but yes, I want my hair cut like Cleopatra.”
After he finished laughing, he told Haircutting pal what that would look like. Haircutting pal cut my hair very short and I was happy as she hacked away even though her husband kept making Cleopatra remarks all through the session.

Comments

KC said…
exciting! can we see a pic of the cleopatra cut?? (not making demands about blog content, just wondering...)
Undomestic said…
Is this the "egg" costume?
Anonymous said…
OK, since the egg costume has
been pictured with no explanation
whatsoever, as its creator, I feel
compelled to describe it more fully
so that future generations can benefit from my design innovations.
What you can't see, hidden deftly beneath the flawless egglike exterior, is a Calder-like construction consisting of three circular metal hoops attached to each other and to Quinn's shoulders
by twine. These hoops give the costume is unmistakable eggy shape
without unnecessarily disrupting the natural flow of the material.
-P.
Anonymous said…
Well done, P. Q is obviously loving it!
LH said…
good thing husbandman has given some background info on the egg costume. I know all of you were curious about that.
i probably won't post the cleo hair, but it is very short and for the past few days people keep commenting on its shortness. they don't really follow up with a compliment, but i like it so i don't care. i've been eating cake, potato chips and small snickers all afternoon. eegad. i think i'm having post traumatic stress from halloween, conferences, and sinusitis.
Julie Anna said…
Dear husbandman, I have to be frank--while I can appreciate the engineering complexities, that does not look like an egg from the perspective of this photo. You need me, my friends.

Popular Posts