The Attention


#1 son had a big project due today and he worked on it for hours last night. I wanted to go to bed at 10:30 and asked him to get some sleep. In an exasperated voice, he told me to go to bed and to please let him get his work done. I went to bed, feeling that things were not right with the world. This odd feeling reappeared tonight when I got home after working in the classroom compound for a few hours. Both offspring were busy with their own pursuits. I tried to distract them by performing some spirited aerobic dancing accompanied by a series of pestering questions, but they smiled kindly and ignored me for the most part. I'm discomfited by the total lack of attention I'm receiving from the offspring. What about me? Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lee, I can relate to how you're feeling. David got mad at me the other night when I was making him go to bed because it was almost 11:00 and he was still doing homework. Of course, the homework wasn't due the next day, so I told him it wasn't worth losing sleep over. He was irate that I was preventing him from doing his homework! It just bothers me when he doesn't go to bed before I do!
Undomestic said…
I have a couple kiddos I could trade in for awhile...especially at night...they'll give you LOTS of attention!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Just wait 'til they don't come home until after you have gone to bed! Takes some getting used to, let me tell ya. Thankfully, our son does call and let us know he is on his way, even if he has to wake us up to tell us. I finally figured that they are growing up and seem to be responsible people, so pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Susan
KC said…
goodness! quinn looks so grown up in this photo!!

i can relate to the dancing around for attention. i do that to dan sometimes, but it doesn't work unless i take off my shirt.
LH said…
i'm getting really annoyed with the commenting technology. i just wrote thoughtful responses to all of you and they never appeared. now i have to go to miami. later gators, mind the blog for me.

Popular Posts