The Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles.  Do you know that song by X?  I really love that song a lot.  I know nothing about the Angels.  I don't think they're a good team because wouldn't I have heard more about them from time to time?  I do miss LA tho.  We used to go there frequently to visit Husbandman's parents.  Now we don't visit LA, but maybe some time we will again.

A posse of sixers came to see me today with balloons, chips, pop, and a cookie cake.  I completely forgot that I told them I would help them surprise their teacher with a little party today.  I asked them before spring break why they wanted to throw a party for their teacher and they talked about how much she had done for them. One little sixer said, "She cares about us."  So I said I would help and I really didn't have to do much.  A little bait and switch action.  Party went off without a hitch.

Today the kinders had a pancake party.  They had a banjo player and a fiddler in to play for them, and they ate pancakes with maple syrup.  I arrived late and everyone was leaving.  I grabbed a pancake and a kid in line said, "You should put maple syrup on that."
"I don't like maple syrup, pal."
"Dr. H., do you know that maple syrup is just the same as syrup?"
I assured the kid that I did know that.  I grabbed a cloth and started cleaning up the tables.

A pleasant day back from spring break, everyone talking about their adventures. A little preschooler called out to me from his van today, "Mrs. Dr. H., I had a great spring break!"
"What'd you do buddy?" I called back.
"Played video games all day long!"
His dad looked really embarrassed, but I reached in and gave him a high five, "That's what it's all about, man!"  I said, with a sort of hip swagger.  The dad laughed and the situation was no longer awkward.

Back in gear with the one of a kind Artful School Angels.  No place I'd rather be.

Comments

mm said…
Teachers do care about kids even when they have two weeks until spring break.
Anonymous said…
Speaking of baseball (which you weren't really) here's part of an email I received today:

Dmenosky,

You're receiving this message because you read a book by Jim Bouton. In celebration of the re-release of his legendary memoir Ball Four, Jim Bouton will be answering questions from readers in a special video to be released on Opening Day, April 4. We will be choosing 9 questions for this video.

If you'd like to ask Jim Bouton a question, simply reply to this message with your question, then check Jim Bouton's profile on April 4 to see if your question was chosen. Good luck!

D/
Gina Marie said…
This was an excellent post. I haven't had my coffee and can't articulate much else, but I laughed out loud twice and tried to explain to my coworkers how I knew you and your blog.

Anyway, I'm glad the kinder cleared up the syrup vs. maple syrup confusion!
mar said…
Good job on the bait and switch party, Dr. H.! Your Blog warmed my heart today! :)
LH said…
MM, true that. We do, even when our spring break is just a distant memory.

D, Husbandman loved that book.

Thanks, Gina Marie, for reading leeway, especially at the job site!

Mar, thanks for coming by woman. I heard you headed to Memphis??? Graceland???
mar said…
We went to Memphis but not Graceland. We heard a great Blues band on Beale St. and had a yummy meal of ribs. It was a good time! Did Q. go to Austin? So did Alison! I guess they didn't run into each other or I would have heard.
LH said…
Yes, he did. He loved it.

I've never been to Memphis. Gotta get on that.
mar said…
I bet you were relieved when Q. got home safely! I was worried about A. since they drove both ways non-stop. Yes, you definitely need to visit Memphis sometime- you'd love Beale St.!

Popular Posts