The Detroit Tigers

I was invited to Good Pal Menosky's house tonight, so of course I'm going to write about the Detroit Tigers.  When I told Husbandman I was going to write from the Tigers subject heading, he volunteered to "dictate" a blog entry to me.  Here goes:

I find myself full of nostalgia tonight for the '68 Tigers.  Who can forget their remarkable comeback from a 3-1 deficit against Bob Gibson's Cardinals?  From lead off man Dick McAuliffe on to the big hitters Kaline, Horton and Cash, this was a team that was destined to win.  The grittiest effort came from left hander Mickey Lolich who won games 2 and 5 and then on only a few days' rest beat Gibson in a classic game 7.  Okay, that's it.

So you see, it's going to be a TEAM EFFORT this month on this blogging challenge!  We've got a lot of  material here.  This is what I like about Detroit.  Greektown.  We went there to eat with Husbandman's Detroit family members once.  It was awesome.  And GoodPal Menosky always gives us cool Detroit products.  And David Bowie sings that cool Panic in Detroit song.  "He'd left me an autograph."
So there you go.

Comments

mm said…
I'm totally for "team" efforts in this blog challenge!
Bethn8r said…
Nice! Tiger twins today! You have much more interesting things to say about them than I did.
StreibProjects said…
I went to a Tiger's game once. They were playing the Yankees. Harrison loved the Yankees at the time. Pudge was catching for the Yanks that day, but he used to play for the Tigers.
dw said…
I like how people are doing the same teams so early! Blue Jays, Tigres, Mets - This is some great blogging!
This IS great blogging. Aw, miss you both so much! I gotta say I too am fascinating by the "double-team" efforts so early in the challenge. Will we be scraping together stupid entries for the same boring teams at the end?
Anonymous said…
Did you know there's a wonderful new book titled, Summer of 68: The Season that changed baseball, and America, forever by Tim Wendel?
Check it out.

D/
Anonymous said…
Went to see the Tigers when their venue was named Navin Field. Then Briggs Stadium. Finally Tiger Stadium.

D/
KC said…
Love the teamwork. That's so baseball.
Jim said…
Wasn't 1968 the year that Denny McLain won 31 games for the Tigers? I think he was the last pitcher to win 30 games in a season.
jdoc said…
I wish I knew more about baseball.
Anonymous said…
Yes. 31 wins in '68 for Denny. All of us Detroiters were big baseball fans, and after my dad died, we found he had saved dozens of newspaper clippings about Denny.
These days, sadly,Denny is in constant trouble with the law.

D/
LH said…
Hey D! Thanks for inspiriting my Detroit post! I knew you'd have some cool stuff to add.

Popular Posts