The Seniority

Summary of article in paper today:  Great new teacher at a local project based high school got RIF'ed last year.  RIF means reduction in force, as you probably already know.  This teacher succeeded in the project based model and had a strong commitment to the model.  This project based school had to take other teachers, with more seniority, and these teachers were hired right before the start of school so they didn't have training in the model.
Now for my opinion about this article:  I'm sorry this teacher got RIF'ed, but this teacher did get another job at a different project based school.  I'm sorry that our state government has reduced tax base funding for our schools so that our schools were forced to lay off and move around teachers like crazy last year.  But here's the thing I'm not sorry for.  I am not sorry that the school system uses seniority to make these decisions.  I think it's fair.  Usually these RIFs happen toward the end of the school year.  It's a huge scramble.  After everyone is RIF'ed, the school system works hard to hire as many people back, as retirements and leaves roll in over the summer.  I think this teacher should be happy for the new job in another project based school. Be happy and keep working, and in a few years you'll have seniority and you won't get moved around so much.

Comments

I always thought you were saying "riffed".
LH said…
I actually was saying riffed, but what I was intending was RIF'ed.

It's getting to be that time of year when they start talking about how many teachers are going to get RIF'ed. Everyone says it won't be as bad as last year. Let's cross our fingers. LU
Julie Anna said…
I hope no one has to be RIFed. I have a piece of wood with a hole in it that looks exactly like the one in this picture. Weird.
Anonymous said…
Your tweets made me need to turn on the Bachelor! I will watch the rest of it now. He is weird though.
N
Anonymous said…
Using your blog to make a request. This from my niece in NC:
"Hello family and friends!! Could you all do me a huge favor and go to Metro Honda of Union County on Facebook and "like" the page. Then type Indian Trail Elementary School on a post on their wall. They are having a contest and the school with the most votes will get $5000. We were in 3rd place and have slipped to 5th.

Thank you so much for helping the kids' school!!!!"

Thanks. D/
LH said…
Okay, this is a task I just accomplished.
Happy to help.
Anonymous said…
THANK YOU!

D/
KC said…
I actually don't know what I think about this seniority issue, but I agree that there's something to be said for paying one's dues.

I'm going to help D now, too.
LH said…
I want to blog!
Anonymous said…
I want you to blog!!!!!
N

Popular Posts