Devils and Dust

The new Springsteen CD flips onto a DVD, with footage of Bruce introducing and singing five songs. The Star Trib’s quick review of Devils and Dust suggested that we watch the DVD before listening to the CD. Pshaw I thought, ludditely. But Bruce’s new CD came to live at our house today and Quinn wanted me to watch the DVD with him this evening. I spared him the long pompous speech about the importance of listening to the music without the influence of extraneous visual imagery because there was nothing else to watch on TV tonight. So I picked up my knitting and headed downstairs. I listened, watched and was charmed by Bruce's descriptions of how he sings his characters. I even loved reading the words on the TV screen when Bruce’s video gig was done. I kept telling Quinn to pick another one. CD. DVD. Watching first. Listening first. It’s all good. My favorite is Long Time Coming. So far.

Comments

Popular Posts