Math Course


So I'm taking the math course I told you about.  Session 1 really ticked me off as it brought back 50,000 memories of how I was basically taught that I sucked at math at a very young age.  When I struggled with maths, my mentors would say, "Well you can't be good at everything."  That made sense to me.  So I just accepted that maths was not my bailiwick.

If I hadn't been forced out of the math track by society, I probably could have achieved greatness in the sciences.  If I could do it all over again, I probably would stick with maths and then become a paleontologist or an archaeologist.  Or an organic chemist.  Or an aeronautical engineer or an astronomer.

I've got to break the cycle of maths aversion that's harming not only individuals, but our entire society.  It starts with me.  Taking this course about having a good attitude toward maths.

Husbandman is not a fan of Americans using the term maths, but I think it hints at the wide range of fields under the maths umbrella.  As I told him this evening, "You don't call it physic, do you?"  He didn't say much after that.

Comments

KC said…
After my Stanford class, I too prefer "maths." Let's use it all the time.
mm said…
I'm in support of the term maths!

Popular Posts