The Muffs

Photo Credit:  Dean Paul, circa 1987


Indoor recess can get to me sometimes.  I want to support the fun, but the noise level just about gives me shingles.  I don't feel like bugging the Thirdlanders because they should get to enjoy their recess time, but the noise level can get fairly high.  As I walked by the cubbies during indoor recess yesterday, I noticed  ear cancelling headphones in a Thirdlander's cubby.  He uses them only occasionally.  I tried them on.  This was a life changing moment.  I could barely hear the Thirdlanders at all.  I could see them enjoying their card games, their Lego creations, and their role playing dramas, but I could not hear them.  After recess, I asked the Thirdlander who owned the muffs, "Why don't you wear these all the time? They're amazing." He just shrugged and said I could use them whenever I want.  The kid's a gem.

At dismissal time a few hours later, I walked over and tried them on again.  As I led the Thirdlanders down the hall, full of hundreds of boisterous kids, I could barely hear a sound.  It was a miracle.  

I've been reading reviews for noise cancelling ear muffs this afternoon.  Some of them can significantly cut down noise at a firing range, which could be an added benefit if I ever want to take up marksmanship as a hobby. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
So excited to hear you are getting another doctorate. That's just awesome. Love the youtube site.
jw
KC said…
An excellent idea for the trials of indoor recess!

Popular Posts