The Jar

When my brother Glenn was still somewhat healthy, he told us that he wanted to be cremated and he wanted his ashes placed in an Aunt Jemima cookie jar.  We weren't thrilled by this idea, but this was just the kind of thing Glenn would want, so we just went along.  He shopped for the jar himself and came up with one after some time.  A few months later, my mom transferred Glenn's ashes to the cookie jar.  We tried to see the humor in the whole cookie jar deal, as we all knew Glenn would want us to do, but I've gotta tell you.  It was tough.  We mostly didn't look over at it too much.

The cookie jar got buried in the backyard under a beautiful pink dogwood tree.  The dogwood tree died this year, so we're getting a new tree.  Brother Bar called me yesterday to tell me that they were having a hard time finding the jar.  He said, "Spent the day looking for Glenn.  To no avail."  This made me laugh, but deep down I was a little sad.  But tralala! Come to find out, Brother K found the jar today and the fam sent a photo via cell phone. I cried when I saw that dumb cookie jar.  But I was relieved.  Glenn's ashes are found and the Aunt Jemima cookie jar has held up well lo these 20 years.

Another great story from the Glenn Man.  He's chuckling somewhere as we shake our heads in disbelief.  That's how it went most of the time with that kid.

Comments

kc said…
This is a great story. I think it was good of you guys to honor the cookie jar wish. This type of wish can be strange. Shef says he doesn't want to be cremated and wants a huge, ostentatious headstone.

I don't know why he told me this recently. It probably has to do with something from Harry Potter.
Anonymous said…
As long as we're on the subject... I want to be an educator even after I die, so I've arranged for my body to go to the IU Medical Center for med students to have a go at it.

Loved your story. Beautiful and sad.

D/
cb said…
You are such a good story teller. Thank you. I'm glad the cookie jar was found.

Isn't it great that Glenn can still make people shake their heads and smile? True charm never dies, never fades.

xoxo
cb
Anonymous said…
I wish I had konwn Glenn. I have this feeling that knowing you is darned close.
jw
mm said…
Love the story... Love the picture...
LH said…
Thanks, Dolls. I was hesitant to share this at first, but it ended up feeling right. I love that little brother of mine so much.

D, my mom is giving her cadaver to a university in Georgia, and you both are inspiring me to possibly do the same. It's not the greatest body in the world, but it may provide some educational peculiarities that could benefit some of the incoming medicals.

My brother Dan has a unique plan. He says, "Cremate me, stick the ashes in a coffee can and chuck the can in the dumpster behind work."

It's all something to think about.
Julie Anna said…
love this story. I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered under a pine tree in the Rocky Mountains.
LH said…
Julie, I love the Rocky Mountains, and I think that's a good beautiful spot for you to celebrate your good beautiful life. Let people know the coordinates, okay, so we can swing by for a visit on occasion.

Popular Posts