I

Got to see a few imps this week as they came in with mom and dad to register for school.  I talked to two imps, one new one old.  The new kinder imp reached out to shake my hand and said something like, "Who is your name and I am?"  Clearly the kid is whacked.  After some intros, he showed me the 100's of mosquito bites on his legs, which were ghastly.  But I adored this new kinder friend from moment one.

The other first grader imp was an old pal.  He said, "I'm not going to ever forget your name!  You're Dr. H.!"

I remarked on his new height and buzzed his buzz cut a bit.  I asked him, "Are you getting excited?"

He said with a huge smile, "I wasn't excited at all, but then I heard about all the stuff."

I am still wondering what the stuff is that he heard about.  For various reasons, today I truly need some of the stuff.

 I'm missing that classroom space, that space I used to create and share with a posse of weird little imps.  Seeing all those nervous looking imps and knowing that none of them will belong with me, that was hard today.  I'll borrow them from time to time, but mostly I'll just be a friendly visitor.  Not a teacher to anyone.
 A downer post I know, but this has been a shattery kind of week.  Bear with me. I'll pull out.  You know I will. Just in time for J....

Comments

mm said…
J for Joyous?
I, too, wish I knew the "stuff" of excitement since I am not ready for the new year. Tomorrow is a training day. Maybe that will help, but I doubt it.
LH said…
Or it might be jubilant? We never can tell in Schoolapalooza.
StreibProjects said…
You teach me lots of cool things!
Kc said…
A sad post, but before it got sad I LOLed. You're so funny and a little leeway always brightens my day so much.
dw said…
Well, I don't know anything from anything, but I am pretty sure you'll be a teacher to all those imps. FWIW (in internets lingo, that means "for what it's worth").
Anonymous said…
OK, Come on!!! I told you the other day that once you started seeing some kiddos, and now once you start working with some of those kiddos, you will have some fun "stuff" to write about and celebrate. And as for teaching or being a teacher to someone, try the WHOLE SCHOOL, lady! They count on you for this, and you teach me many things through this hilarious blog!!!!!
N
Anonymous said…
Love the I is for Icicle photo.
Hope you're having a good J day. Like finding treasure in a Junkyard. Or just plain Jumping for Joy.

And ditto N's remarks.

D/
Anonymous said…
I think it is perfectly clear what "J" stands for.
jw
Goodwoman said…
It might not count but you teach me lots of things and you can borrow the Read 180 crew anytime you want to teach eager minds.
jdoc said…
I would like to ditto these comments. You just can't find a better teacher than you.
LH said…
Thanks, pallies. Today went well.
I work with a lot of great peeps. And if/when I can grab control of this job, it can be v. satisfying.
Julie Anna said…
The imp stories always crack me up. Little kids are weird in a very funny way.

Popular Posts