The Prom


Lifetime channel's going to air a movie in March called "For One Night." It's based on a true story about a girl in Georgia, Gerica McCrary, who worked to have an integrated prom at her high school. In 2002. Geez Louise. The school does not host a prom because they want to discourage interracial dating. So the kids raise money and have two separate proms each year, a black prom and a white prom. I don't know where I was in 2002, because I don't remember this story and I was pretty surprised to read about it here. More reading today revealed that the high school kids decided to return to separate proms in 2003. Black prom was open to all, though. Teen Daughter says the movies on Lifetime usually seem like they are made in about an hour. I hope this one is decent because the sixers read Wire Tap's article today and want to check it out.

Comments

KC said…
i read the alternet article to my kids today (so thanks for the tip!)-- they were shocked, and they wondered where they would go if they were hispanic or native american or asian or something else.

i think several will tune into watch Raven.
Anonymous said…
Hi Dad,
glad to see you. I think we need more pics of the extended family. Just MHO.
-Bob
Anonymous said…
Son-
Thanks for the sentiment but I'm afraid trouble with the FBI and
other elements has forced me to keep away from the camera's eye in recent years.
-Dad
Julie Anna said…
This is pretty shocking. I have some knowledge of certain communities in Indiana, however, who turn a somewhat blind eye to interracial dating, but shun interracial marriage and interracial unplanned pregnancies, which puts the resulting babies in a predicament, to say the least.
LH said…
hey dears, i linked to an article today where one school is having a hispanic prom as well. i've always believed more is better than less in the party department, but this does seem odd.

Popular Posts