The Meals

#1 son doesn't want to go to a movie with me. He just wants to "chillax." Probably a good idea after a busy week. Memoirs and midterms took up most of my week, but now they're out of my hands. The memoirs ended up being pretty good. My favorites were the simple stories, the one about the kid who likes to look out his window. Or the one about sitting behind a bush in the backyard. I especially liked "Hated Girl," the story of a sixer who made the mistake of telling everyone's secrets on instant messenger. I reviewed revision suggestions with the whole class on Friday, "The memoirs really needed tightening up," I told them. "We don't need to know what you had for breakfast each day on your vacation. We don't even really need to know that you ate. I'd actually appreciate it if you would just delete all meals from your memoirs in the final drafts."
Foto credit: Lewison Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Totally stealing that idea. No meals for memoirs! We could make signs even.
LH said…
exactly. unless you or a family member happens to be a food critic. and that's the only exception.
Anonymous said…
What about the wonderful dinner you ate and then: you became a food addict, or your dad cleaned off the dishes and then announced that he was moving in with his boyfriend, or your whole family ended up at the hospital with food poisioning, or the candle fell over and caught the table on fire (accually happened to a kid in my class). But then again, the food is part of the story so it makes sense.

love your blog lh

jeff
LH said…
good points, mr. jeff. I will add these comments to my revision instructions. thanks for coming by mister.
KC said…
i still had this prob with my tenth graders. too many irrelevant details. a couple of gems in the bunch, tho.
Anonymous said…
canoe... no, not a new sport for me. I have the merit badge. We'll be there in the wink of a j-stroke . Southwest does fly there, right? FF Miles, you know.
love,
Bob
Anonymous said…
oops. wrong post. no merit badge for blog replies, is there?
LH said…
i bet there is a merit badge for blogging now. i'll checkin to that. yay for frequent flyer. let's start chatting about this possibility.

Popular Posts