The Mao


It’s a blast spending time in the big city with these two, drinking the flights of wine, eating the flights of cheese. The talks at the conference were way excellent, for the most part, and I already tried something new in my classroom. The art museum had a small exhibit of paintings from books that have won the Coretta Scott King award. I love to see the original paintings of picture book illustrations. I’m sure you do as well. A concierge helped get us in to a cool restaurant and I impressed myself with the suavity of my palm greasing maneuver. I would love to live in the rambling town, but I am probably too Hoosierized now. After we finished eating at Marche, I was surprised at the hordes of people crowding around the bar waiting for a table. “People sure do eat late here,” I told my pals, but jdoc slapdashed my awe with the comment, “Well, it’s only 8:30.” It seemed much later than that so it was time to call it a night. After the fun and frivolity, I drove south and made it home in time for the final episode of Bleak House. A Chicago weekend is all good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So cool that all three of you gave your posts the same title. I wish I could have been there.
jw
KC said…
that palm-greasing way muy impresivo. thanks for being such a good chicago tour-guide and map weilder. hope we can do it again soon with jw, too!!
KC said…
i meant it WAS way muy impresivo. wish we could edit those comments, doncha know. also, i think i might have meant map-wielder??!
Anonymous said…
Am very jealous of your conference in Chicago. I love Chicago. Have had some fabulous meals there.

My own conference in Sacramento -- even though I was presenting -- does not even begin to compete. "7 Deadly Architectural Sins: We Know What They Are, Yet We Commit Them Anyway" was my topic.

I am still tired even though it has been over for several days now. Someone -- I forget who -- said "Hell is other people at breakfast." I can't begin to tell you how much I agree. And since this confernce is a huge "marketing opportunity" for my company, I was "on" from 7:15 am for breakfast all the way through dinner, with one of the dinners being a costume party my company hosted. Roaring 20s theme. Check bmary.com in a few days for photos. Ultimate problem is: I could have given most of the presentations at the conference so it's wasn't really much of a learning opportunity. And that means I am old. And still 20 -- probably more -- years to go before retirement. Old and jaded.

mary
Anonymous said…
When can we go back?
LH said…
we definitely need to get you in the car next time ms. jw.
Hey ms. kc, i do love to hold the map. sometimes my family rips it out of my hand, so thanks!!!

ms. m...your talk title is now making me wonder what the seven are. we should meet up there sometime soon. tell your company to throw us a party there. if you can.

jdoc, it was so do-able. no work missed. no sub plans. yay. the precedent has been set.

Popular Posts