The Comments


I thought Jimmy Carter’s comments at Coretta Scott King’s funeral were smart and timely. In his speech he “made reference to government spying that the Kings endured and continued racial injustice evidenced by the Hurricane Katrina disaster.” There has been some critique of funeral “highjacking,” but I listened to excerpts of the speeches on the radio last night and the exuberance of the applause of those in attendance prove that Carter and Reverend Lowery were in the right place at the right time. If I die in the next few years, I just want all of you to know that it’s perfectly A-OK with me if you want to say anything bad about the Bush administration during my funeral. Go for it, my friends.

Comments

Julie Anna said…
Sometimes funeral highjacking is a necessary thing. Speaking of which, I just watched The Constant Gardner last night. Great movie. My mother and brother hated it. I ask you, what is to hate about that movie? This only strengthens my suspicions that I was not really born into this family.
KC said…
The people who took over at Wellstone's funeral got in a bit of trouble. Also, then the dems lost the election.

I understood the grief of the speaker who did the damage, but I wish Mondale had won the race in spite of it.
LH said…
i get irked when funerals are critiqued. It seems like this is a real trend now, to critique the political nature of funerals of people who worked for social justice their whole lives. just one more way to shut down progressive views. Even though Coretta Scott King worked for decades on social justice issues, these shouldn't be mentioned at her funeral? Grrrrr, she said, bitterly.
Anyway, if I do die in the next couple of years, and Bush happens to be in attendance at my funeral, please, I beg of you, take a stand, and tell him that I was really displeased with how he ran the country. if every liberal leaning person left a disclaimer like this in their will, that could really solve this problem.
Julie Anna said…
Good point. I'm adding to my will right now. I don't want any syrupy b.s. funeral. Maybe we should actually write our own farewell messages. I hope to goodness none of us are going anytime soon, but I plan on being just as vociferous when I'm 90.
Anonymous said…
Eliot and I laughed when we heard Carter say what he did, and that Georgie boy had to sit there and hear it to his face! Eliot especially has been bshing the political front! These boys! Anyway, never get to talk to you my friend, so must post comments to the blog to have conversation. How are you????
LH said…
hi julie,
i'm actually hoping to have a little party before I go. i'll keep you posted.
and ms. nance, someone on a blog did a really funny piece about our pres squirming around in his chair as he listened to Rev. Lowery. I wish I'd been watching that. let's get together yeah yeah yeah...

Popular Posts