The Rituals



Laura and Jay are both rabbis, so their wedding was full of ritual, from beginning to end.  Rituals are cool.

Case in point: The Mikveh.

At a Mikveh, you mark a big change in your life with some water dunking. Most mikvehs are in a synagogue, but ours was out in the woods, in the cool pools pictured here, called The Inkwells.

We got into the water, circled around Laura, read some poems, made some wishes, sang some songs and then dunked 3 times.  I also did some crying because, come to find out, the mikveh can be incredibly emotional. Not exactly sure why.

I met a new friend at Laura's wedding who creates rituals for people. I told her I felt I needed a ritual, but I wasn't sure what type I'm in the market for at this point. Once I figure it out, I'm probably going to shoot her an email.  This gal knows rituals like nobody's business.

Comments

Nancy said…
I’m in on the cool ritual, my friend!
N
cb said…
Wonderful photos and a cool post.

xo
cb
Julie said…
I think everyone could use a nice ritual. My only ritual right now is reading the NYTimes on my phone while in the bathtub. In the summer, it's too hot to continue my ritual. I need a new one. I never thought about developing personalized rituals as a thing someone does. Pretty cool.

Popular Posts