The Bots

Sometimes you're just reading along and you come upon something new and great.  That happened this morning when I came across this whole #BOTJOY phenomenon that's incredible.

Gary Hirsch makes these bots on old dominoes and gives them out to people who need them.  He has a Ted Talk and a ton of people around the world have been spreading #BOTJOY based on his idea. I instantly started making a list of materials I need at my local art shop for making the bots.

Here's a little character flaw I have though.  I get kind of wigged out about doing things that other people have done before.  Which is weird and I don't know how I came to be this way.  Everything's already been done and the #BOTJOY project is amazing and the artist wants everyone to steal the idea.

Perhaps I'll work on being more of a copycatter this year.  Or, more of a collaborator.  That's actually not a bad goal. I'm not trying to beat myself up, but honestly, I worry that I'm a snotty brat about controlling my own day to day destiny.  I think it's school re-entry anxiety making me worry about my failures and flaws. Going back to work can be a confidence crusher. Just ignore me.  I'll be fine soon.

Anyway, if you want to come over some time and make some bots, that could be fun.  I'll be home in 2 days.

Comments

KC said…
We all have strengths and weaknesses, and I personally think our strengths outweigh. It's overkill to say "snotty brat," but the phrase did make me laugh. Goals are good, but we should also celebrate our awesomeness.
LH said…
You're right as usual, KC West.

#CelebrateAwesomeness
mm said…
I feel like you are a collaborator.
Judy said…
How have I not heard of this bot project??? I love it. And I celebrate your awesomeness every day. So happy you are back in town. Bloomington just feels better since you've returned.
jw
Julie said…
Any art that I ever do is completely derivative. I guess I'm ok with that since I'm just monkeying around. But occasionally I wish I had a totally original idea. I don't know if there are any original ideas left, though. I'm totally into the bots and would love to make some if you have wine and bot making.
Julie said…
So, this is weird. I went to look at Hirsch's bot joys on instagram, and in one photo he had made red mushrooms with white spots. Earlier this summer, I, too, made these by painting some sparkling wine corks, just because they resembled mushrooms. My intention was/is to create a little gnome village under my big front tree to entertain passing people. I haven't done so yet, though. No time. :-(

Popular Posts