The Fear



Woke up with a bit of anxiety yesterday and asked myself, "What the heck is this all about?"  On reflection I figured it out. Come to find out, I'm getting nervous about going to back to work in a few weeks. I love my slow mornings and my stretched out afternoon meanderings. I love being a teacher and yet my anxiety is real and stems from (1) a recognition that life's soon going to ratchet up like a rocket and (2) guilt about not being content with, and appreciative of, this amazing life. The old double edged sword.

In order to cultivate compassion for myself, Pema Chodron says I should move gently toward what scares me.  So yesterday I took a walk around Toronto.  I started my afternoon with a dumpling lunch, then wandered into parks, book stores and paper shops buying myself some gifts for my new school year.  I bought some great stickers, several marvelous read aloud books and JACKPOT! a new clipboard binder.  I'm telling you, that clipboard binder was expensive.

As I walked home with my new supplies, I felt lighter.  I was moving gently toward what was freaking me out, with a clipboard that's going to be the envy of everyone at the compound and a sticker book called YAY ALL DAY that's sure to ease reentry considerably.  I have 16 more days of summer. 16 more days of gently moving toward The Upside Down. Developing compassion with a few more forays into fun, friendship and freedom.

Comments

Nancy said…
So I see I’m not the only one with the back-to-school anxiety creeping into my days and nights! I’m trying to nap and swim and soak up every minute. That Mighty Brother concert next week should help too!
N
LH said…
Yes. The anxiety has found me. I think the last week of school should be a time where teachers check into a spa resort.
In the afternoons, while we're laying around in our robes next to the pools, assistants come by and show us different lay outs for bulletin boards and first day activities. We just pick from the menus and then they go back to school and make it happen for us.
LH said…
I meant the last week of summer.
Nancy said…
I would love that!
N
KC said…
The spa menu idea is genius.
kstreib said…
Yes, that spa day sounds lovely. I would like to see a picture of the clipboard binder please.
Judy said…
I'm not sure how I'm going to work school into my busy schedule.
Julie said…
I felt stressed just reading this. If I were a teacher, I'd be wound like a Swiss clock. I don't think summer would be long enough for me to unclench my jaws. Thankfully you and nancers and others are taking care of this.

mm said…
The anxiety is real.

Popular Posts