The Memories

Indoor recess yesterday so I sat down with some Thirdlanders to help with their crocheting.  Some Thirdlanders know how to crochet now and others not so much.  But we're all going to get there.

As I chatted with the two Wonderbugs and funny kid, the talk came around to being sneaky.  Funny kid said, "I can sneak stuff out of our kitchen without anyone seeing me.  You would not believe how quiet I am."

I replied, "I was pretty good at that when I was a kid."

The Wonderbugs began chatting about how they sometimes sneak things but then they feel so horrible about it that it's not worth it.  I kind of shrugged that off because how big a deal is it to take a cookie now and again?

Then things turned serious.  Wonderbug 1 said, "I have haunting memories.  If I do things that are mean or bad to anyone, I cry myself to sleep at night.  I can't stand it.  And the memories of these things never go away."
Wonderbug 2 says she has the same problem.  "I just lie awake thinking of anything bad I did and I try so hard the next day to make it right."

I have some of the same issues that these Thirdlanders have.  It made me a little sad to think of them having these feelings for the next 40 years or so, and possibly longer.  While compassion and striving for kindness are great goals, it can be over done.  Finally I said, "You know, sometimes it's hard to let stuff go, but we've got to try.  We have to put these memories in the past where they belong and just try to focus on the present moment."
Wonderbug 2 pulled at her crocheting which isn't really going that well to tell you the truth and sighed, "It's so hard."

Comments

KC said…
I love this sweet story. "It's so hard."
Gina Marie said…
Thirdlanders are too young to be haunted with regret. The poor things! Glad you set them straight on doing your best and forgetting the rest.

Did Roz tell you that we MET IN PERSON OUTSIDE A PIZZA PLACE IN BERKELEY LAST NIGHT? She was just as lovely as I'd expect a Little Leeway scion to be. SO exciting!
LH said…
Gina, Ros sent me the photo in a text. I def. want to put it here on leeway. I was so thrilled. I had a feeling that would happen eventually.

These 2 wonderbugs make me laugh. They are 2 of the most dramatic and amazing people.
jdoc said…
Oh, I love those Wonderbugs. I can relate and am afraid that Sam has acquired these same qualities.
Anonymous said…
Sweet. sweet. sweet.
jw
Sandora said…
This is quite sad and insightful. Poor third landers...gotta say though I've had a few of those moments myself...

Popular Posts