The School

Today I read a poem/song with some 3rd graders about the Erie Canal.  Had a mule and her name was Sal.  15 years on the Erie Canal.  Through discussion of the poem which was inscrutable to the kiddos, I taught them about canals, the cities of Albany and Buffalo,  barges, hauling, and the art of navigation.  And also mules.  I have nothing against introducing new concepts.  In fact I'm for it.  Why wake up in the morning if you're not going to learn anything new is basically my mantra.  But I'm going to need to bring in some visuals I think to really seal the deal on this.  One thing I've got to figure out is this:  Did mules pull the barges up the canal?  How'd that work out?

Comments

LH said…
THIS IS A VERY GOOD RENDITION OF THE ERIE CANAL by the one and only Bruce Springsteen. It has a haunting quality to it.

Did the mules walk in the canal when they hauled the barges? Still curious about this.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KpheIh32cQ
mm said…
You need to research the mules and the barges thing... let us know!!


I remember the Springsteen song.
Julie Anna said…
No, there was a path on each side of the canal. The mules (or horses in some cases) walked along the edge pulling the barge, which they were harnessed to. For an actual canal experience, you can go to Metamora, Indiana, where there is a stretch of canal and a canal boat pulled by a horse which you can ride on and they tell you the history of the canal.
Julie Anna said…
Oh yeah, I just remembered, it's called the "towpath" that the mules walk on.
LH said…
Julie, One more question. Were there mules on both sides of the canal?

I'm v. happy to learn more about this.

I sang the springsteen song about 15 times this morning.

Just came back from a meeting where I ate about 15 cookies.
LH said…
Now I've watched the video properly, instead of just listening to it over and over all morning. I get the whole concept now. I feel sorry for the mules though. Sal was a good one.
Anonymous said…
I love using poetry with my kinders too. I always enjoy seeing which words they choose to harvest.

I just have to say that the chipmunk picture on this post put a huge smile on my face. I just love your pictures! :)

Sarah Murray
jdoc said…
I love this entire Springsteen album. The Seeger Sessions. Do you have it? If not, I might just send you a copy.
LH said…
Sarah, I stole these chipmunks from JW's little niece and nephew!!!! I had to have them!

Jdoc, we do have it and i kind of forgot about it til this week. I love it too!

Popular Posts