The Newbies

With my one Book one School project, I'm going around reading books to one and all.  This week it's Martin's Big Words.  After the reading, I give the kiddos a blank booklet and a sheet of quotes from the book.  They can pick quotes to glue into their book and then write their reactions to the quote.  The kids are writing such moving comments.  The project's a success so far.  Today I walked up to 2 new 5thsters and introduced myself.  They told me their names as they were cutting quotes into their books.
     "Did you love the book I shared?" I asked them and they both replied in the affirmative.
     "What about this project I made up?  Don't you think it's pretty cool to make these little books?"  They nodded and smiled and both said something about how it was fun to make the books.
    "I love you both already," I told them, "and I'm so glad you're here."
      Those kids were darned friendly and I loved their openness and sincerity.  Welcome New 5thsters!
     

Comments

mm said…
I love your project!
Anonymous said…
Yup. I think this is a great project too!
jw
LH said…
It takes awhile to get into all the classrooms. That's the only problem. But I still love it. It's fun to hear sibs from different grade levels talking about the books.
Anonymous said…
I walked in the yard too today-that was the only way to get the dog out. She was sliding down the drive, licking the ice, and acting all weird. But that is usual for her!
Love your one book- one Fairview teaching! Once again, I want you coming into my classroom!
N
Anonymous said…
What a great idea! I am going to try the blank book/quotes in my classroom. LOVE it!!!!!! :)

Oh, the doll and albino rat...wow!! Are they friends with the chipmunks? :)

Sarah M.

Popular Posts