The End

Well, stick a fork in it. The school year's done. For some odd reason I got kind of nostalgic for the classroom this week. I think it's because I took a tour of the new building and the new classrooms are beautiful. I would like to set one of those bad boys up next August. It's also a nice feeling to end the school year with the peeps on that last day, sharing the memories and singing all the old songs together one last time. But I'm going to plug along as a literacy partner, even though I don't know if I'm being super effective. On a good note, we had our final convocation in the gym at the end of the day and then we walked outside to watch our student council pres. put a ribbon on the school doors, symbolically closing the school forever. As we filed out of the school, we were greeted by a bagpiper. We all stood silently outside and listened in awe. I was holding a thirdie's hand and lovingly keeping her by my side, somewhat against her will. We loaded the buses up at the park, waved goodbye for the summer, and then we went back to the building for more packing. We're getting there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is difficult not having a classroom at the end of the year. It feels weird and it always will.
jw
Anonymous said…
Attended a staff meeting today at the school where we are planning to do what you did at your school -- construct a brand new school on the site & tear down the old school -- in order to show them what their new classrooms will look like in terms of window placement, location & type of cabinets, placement of resilient flooring vs. carpeting, etc. The group seemed to get it, but were unusually subdued, at least for them.

Learned afterward the teachers had been told just moments before we arrived the district would be increasing class size for next year in order to save money so two of the teachers would be leaving, being sent to other schools in the district. That really sucks, and I'm glad I did not know it before the meeting.

I want all teachers out there to understand, though, that I get it. My company is 20% smaller now than it was 18 months ago. We have cut many of the "support staff" positions in addition to the "technical staff." So I, too, am doing "more with less."

I have not had a raise in two years. And, for a while, I was under a 10% pay cut. You are not alone.

The difference is this: I am not allowed to tell anyone for fear my company will be perceived as weak. So instead we are perceived as living the life of Riley on your backs. That sucks too.

mem in CA
LH said…
Hey J, It WAS weird. But I guess I have to be happy that I wasn't scrambling to fill out report cards and cum folders.

M, As one of the teachers out here, I recognize that you "get it." As a pal of 2 awesome architects, I know some of the challenges of your field.

Popular Posts