The Mercy

Popped into second grade today and ended up helping some peeps with their lit. logs. They're reading a book about a pig called Mercy Watson. I worked with 2 peeps who have a hard time focusing. While I tried to steer them toward an inference, they uttered random comments one after the other about America's funniest home videos, borrowing stuff from their neighbors and protective rings of fire that can shield all of us. They also tried their hand at writing in cursive, which they're just now learning. Sadly the cursive was illegible, but they ignored my suggestions to use print. In the end we got the page done. Nothing short of a miracle. Please call me Annie Sullivan.

Comments

KC said…
LOL, Annie.

I gave up on my juniors today after scolding them for not even bothering to read Spark Notes.

Not my best day. Can't think of what you should call me.
Anonymous said…
Ok Annie, Job well done.
All the snow days and delays have the kids in a tizzy. And isn't Monday a holiday?
Friday you can do Valentines and Chinese New Year. What fun!

D/
Anonymous said…
A used to love Mercy Watson.... I think we have the entire series... This has been one long week. And we have the weekend to do the ENTIRE mission project. :(
Anonymous said…
I love Mercy Watson. The pig is hysterical. Those kinders!!! I had a kindergarten teacher tell me yesteday that her kids are going to revolt when I try to meet with me. They'll want Mrs. Richey she says.
jw
LH said…
Geez. So many people are so clueless.
You should have said, "I hate to disappoint them. Why don't we skip your reading time for awhile
until the kiddos get used to me?"

I've never read Mercy Watson til now. She seems to ignore the plight of her family in order to satisfy her need for immediate gratification. Which is a little bit rude.

But the 2nd graders are loving her.
Anonymous said…
I love the whole Mercy series, but you're right about her need for instant gratification. It causes her problems in every book.
Since she loves buttered toast so much, I once brought in the toaster, bread, and spray butter when we finished the series. Fun!

D/

Popular Posts