The Levels

Every day someone tells me they can't teach a peep reading because they don't know the peep's reading level. "I have no idea how to pick books for that kid because I don't know the reading level." "Is there any way we can be told about their reading levels so we can plan for our groups?" I must have squeezed in to education before reading levels became a big deal. I used to listen to a kid read for a few minutes, talk with them about the book, talk with them about other books they've read and then make recommendations from there. When I suggest this might be a way to proceed, a few colleagues have looked at me like I've got a screw loose. It would be great if we could tattoo the reading levels on to the peeps' bodies every few weeks. That would save me a lot of hassle.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a magnificent photo!

I used to have the same problem with folks who kept trying to sort their classroom library books by levels. Aargh!

D/
LH said…
Yeah, the levelled reading thing is out of control. Just relax people!

I do like this photo. The trip to Berkeley had some great photo ops.

Today's such a gloomy day.

Popular Posts