The Scarf

I helped out in a 2nd grade room today, giving a dreadful test to a small group of kiddos. A test that was entirely too hard for them. I felt horrible by the end as I scooped up pages and told them, "Job well done." Later a little urchin found me in my office. She had my scarf which must have fallen off me in my frenzy to read bits and pieces of test passages to the kiddos. I thanked her for returning it and she bunched it up next to her face and told me, "I saw it on the floor and I didn't know whose it was. So I picked it up and I smelled it and smelled it and smelled it and I thought it was yours!"
I was tempted to ask her if the scarf smelled okay to her, but then I figured I'd leave well enough alone. I have enough to worry about right now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love your photo.
Also love the scarf story. When we "bunch" something and put it close to our faces, and breathe in, it's because we love the person who owns it.

D/
KC said…
this is a sweet story. i agree with D on the meaning.
Judy said…
ditto.
Julie Anna said…
I think you smell just fine :) (I'm cracking up...great story.) For some reason this reminds me of the time in 1st grade when Andy came home and I realized he was wearing my socks. I asked him, "Why are you wearing my socks?" He said, "Because it helps me feel closer to you when I have to be at school all day." Not quite the same kind of story, but that's what it triggered in my brain. He was (and is) such a sweet kiddo.
Anonymous said…
After I'd been at Childs for a few months I dropped something off at Binford during the day. A young lady I'd had in the fifth grade gave me a huge hug and then looked up at me saying, "You smell the very same."

Popular Posts