The Signs

The K's read about Dr. MLK Jr. this week. During free choice time, I brought index cards and tongue depressors and tape. I said, "Dr. King had a lot of messages and sometimes he would be in marches and carry signs. Let's make some signs like the ones Dr. King would carry." A group of K's took up the invite with gusto. They wrote signs like "Everybody can be nice to everybody" and "I love all of you" and "Hold Hands." After we made our signs we walked around the classroom during free choice time, in a big circle, holding our signs aloft. The k's playing with blocks or over in the kitchen area gave us supportive nods and smiles as they continued their play. It was pretty neat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How fun to go in and play with the K's. Again, the 2nd graders at my school are really needing a visit! HEy--is Q playing at the Purdue jazz fest this weekend? I have to ride the bus there on Sat, and am going to lunch with Sam Lame. I don't think I am even staying to hear Grace as she plays later, like at 5ish.
N
LH said…
Yes, he's going. I think he's riding the bus there and then MA is taking him home?
Anonymous said…
Off topic: Why aren't you posting some of your photos on JPG? I really like them.

D/
KC said…
I love this so much. Shef's been studying MLK this week, too. He's really into it and checked out a biography at the library. He's also been singing me a cool song that goes, "Dr. King was a civil rights leader." Do your K's also know this song??
Judy said…
There's a great song that goes like this...oooh martin luther king oooh martin luther king oooh martin luther king...I just wanna sing his name. I used to sing it with big Mackenzie. It's a catchy little tune.
Those kinders carrying around signs brings a smile to my face!
LH said…
Thanks, D. I stopped posting on jpg because I felt not too pleased with my photos. Maybe I'll start up again.

I want to know those mlk songs. You can sing them to me on tokbox?
KC said…
great idea. shef and i will get on that. we'll see if he's in a good mood this morning. ;)

Popular Posts