The Weirdos


Whenever sixers are doing something obnoxious or annoying or just plain weird (which is pretty often), I’ve gotten into the habit of saying something along the lines of, “Hey weirdo, knock it off,” or “Listen you weirdo I need attention n-o-w.” To me, weirdo is a fun, affectionate term, but not all sixers see it that way. One sixer told me yesterday, “Please stop calling me weirdo. Because it offends me.” Listening to my peeps, I tried hard to stop using the term today, but at this point it really rolls off the tongue almost of its own volition. I mentioned my problem to bosslady today and she suggested I figure out a new appellation for the sixers as soon as possible. This is going to be hard but I’m going to work on it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love these links!
jw
Undomestic said…
How about something that sounds sophisticated, but is really demeaning...then they'd never know.
KC said…
i use weirdo, too. i wonder if i stole it from you? Have you called me that recently? Luckily the sophs do think of it as a term of endearment. I think.
LH said…
we're studying some of these authors right now, j. i read that book about Seuss on Fairfield St. with a sixer yesterday. q. good.
c, i like this concept. today i called a couple of kids "waffle" and that seemed to confuse them at first, but then resulted in a big chat about waffles, strawberries, breakfast foods in general. waffle might not be the way to go.
hey ms. kc. i thought weirdo was fine, esp. when you told me you called your students "freaks." I figured "freak" was a high school version of weirdo. I'm trying to get them ready.
Anonymous said…
Use a really loving term like muffin, but let your tone give away how you really feel. "Hey, muffin, sit down and be quiet!" They can't tattle on you for a tone.
Anonymous said…
How's whackjob??
Anonymous said…
pumpkin heads is what the library dragon calls the littlese.
jw
Julie Anna said…
I call teen son "weirdo" but he takes it as a compliment. I used to call the boy children "stink rats" which someone in the family said wasn't very nice. But I queried the boy children and they took it as a term of endearment. The bf called his son "poodle chews". It's all in how you say it maybe.
Anonymous said…
I'm with Joy: wackjob works around here.
Bob
Anonymous said…
What about "whirligigs"? It is similar to weirdo and you wouldn't need to worry about boss.

I call my kids, "Le-La" because I cannot recall their names. I guess that comes with age. One of my kids said, "don't call me a girl name" I then struck in to an explanation that in French Le is the masculine and La is the feminine and that my nickname for them is gender neutral.
LH said…
All good ideas, my friends.
Starting with a "w" I think will help. Happy weekend, you weirdos.

Popular Posts