The Opossum


After a vigorous slog on Saturday I turned, with pride, into my driveway. Staring steadily at my shadow stretching out ahead of me, I screeched to a halt when I found myself staring into the menacing face of a massive opossum baring its pointy little teeth in a way that can only be described as menacing. I took the back way into the homestead and satisfied my curiosity about this incident by googling, “What would a huge menacing possum be doing in broad daylight in my driveway?” Come to find out, sick opossums do cruise about in the day. Mom possums may saunter about midday as well. Mom opossums give birth to teeny babies who then climb back inside the moms’ bodies and grow in there until they’re a goodly size. One web page suggested that all dead opossums should be checked for signs of babies bungling about inside who may need help getting free of the parental carcass. While I like to think of myself as a helpful kind of person, I truly hope the day never comes that I’m called upon to provide this service.

Comments

Anonymous said…
rabid possum???!!
jw
hr said…
One of Henry's littermates was killed by a possum! We think he is still pychologically damaged by watching his brother get killed by such a viscious beast.
Julie Anna said…
some of our earlier chickens were killed by possums, and now, instead of a racoon, we are thinking that a possum killed Penny our beloved chicken. I live-trapped a possum last year, near the chicken coop, and it was a nasty, snarling, jagged-toothed beastie. I suppose we should be glad there are wild creatures left, but really, must we endure posssums?
Anonymous said…
I've had possums on my patio. When I pounded on the window, and screamed at them, they slowly turned their heads, and then kept right on eating the spilled bird seed. Only once did I watch one move off my patio in a speedy manner. And that was because a skunk sauntered onto the patio.
I've never seen the teeth, but I must admit, the little youngish one that came around was kinda cute.
Anonymous said…
Can we talk about squirrels???
KC said…
this sounds horrifying. really. i admire your bravery.

i agree with anonymous about talking about squirrels. they are scary and gross, too.
LH said…
Let's try to remember that we're all God's creatures.

what?
Anonymous said…
I ran over a possum's tail with my car once in Oakland. I didn't expect to see one there and he/she ran off after I hit it. Then for weeks I would have dreams about possums. One night after that incident I had a dream about one large mama possum standing in my living room with baby possums climbing all over her body. I read once that dreams of small animals are supposed to represent parts of yourself. What part of myself is a possum do you suppose?
LH said…
i've had a series of similar wild animal dreams.
now ros is having them.
someone told me once that the animals may represent the wild creative side of my life that i'm not attending to.
not sure if that could be true or not.
happy friday ms kate!
Anonymous said…
some of god's creatures are better than others.
LH said…
true. i'm definitely partial to the golfinches in the backyard, while the grackles and starlings i just tolerate.
no sign of the opossum this week, but i did learn that they don't hang around. They're always on the move.

Popular Posts